• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Excessive yawning after cardio workouts

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
I've found I have an urge to keep yawning for an hour or more after I finish a hefty aerobic workout. It seems to be proportional to how long and hard a workout it was. I don't find it unpleasant at all, as I do excessive yawning brought on by tiredness, but it can be a little annoying and embarrassing, especially if I have to see people about any serious business right after a workout. Just yesterday, my wife and I signed a contract at a new gym, after we'd worked out. It's a small friendly non-chain private gym, and the dude who signed us up was super friendly. I think he felt a little offput, though, that I kept yawning while he was talking to us about this new area we've moved to. I seriously couldn't help it, and if I tried to stifle it, my pharyngeal muscles got tight and crampy.

My wife does not experience this effect. Does anyone else? It reminds me a lot of the yawny effect at the beginning of a shroom trip, except with an opiate-like headspace from the endorphin rush of a workout. If so, is there anything you found helps alleviate it, except, well, yawning?

your body also makes you yawn when you have a lack of oxygen going round your body so basically your body is making you yawn to take in more oxygen for the blood supply. drinking plenty of fluids will help out. You should though learn to control your breathing whilst working out and that should certainly reduce the amount of yawning afterwards.

yawning a lot happens to me too! especially if i notice im only breathing through my nose a lot during cardio. I tend to close my mouth and clentch my jaw when doing cardio...definitely with running. When i relax and open my mouth more I don't notice it as much

One of the main reasons people yawn is because their bodies are trying to get more oxygen. It would make sense that you would yawn after exercise as you are generally out of breathe. I wouldn't worry about it and hopefully your yawns aren't contagious like so many are.